Saturday, January 21, 2012

Message from the Zoo

When I found out I was pregnant with twins, after the shock wore off I could often be heard saying, "Bring it on. Bring on the crazy." I think that's the right (read: only) attitude to have at a time like this, and let me just say the crazy has arrived! But in a good way. I'll miss these days someday, so I am trying to enjoy every minute and relish every challenge.

We are all doing well. Arya is adjusting remarkably well, in fact, and Lyanna and Keira are gaining weight and passed their first pediatrician visit with flying colors. The first 30 (okay, maybe 90) days with newborns are all about baby mayhem and sleep deprivation, so we're right on target!

The thing we're struggling with a bit right now is that Lyanna breastfeeds quite well, but Keira is not quite there yet. I continue to work with them with the goal of being able to nurse them at the same time eventually. Right now, though, with one baby nursing and another requiring a bottle, we use up a whole lot of our 3-hour between-feedings interval, well, feeding. And then I have to pump breastmilk. Add to that multiple diapers and some spit-ups, and we have newborn twin mayhem!

Bless her, though, Arya likes to help with the babies and is remarkably understanding that Mommy and Daddy are busy sometimes.

An apology to you all: I'm sure you've noticed how BAD I am at posting pictures... but I offer this explanation - I don't have enough hands to take pictures!! I'm trying to get better at that, but it's difficult to take photos when we can't just set a baby / the babies on a blanket on the floor to take cute pictures together because we have a very energetic bruiser of a toddler running around. And, see "3-hour between-feedings interval" above.

I hope you're all doing well, too! We would love to hear from you when you get a chance. Feel free to use the comments section or just send an email!

2 comments:

  1. Bring it on! Glad to hear the update and the progress. I need to find a time to meet your new additions, and get my Arya fix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know, we think you are all doing a fantastic job. Sorry, we did not get over this weekend - had to go to Des Moines instead. Hang in there - in no time at all - they will be walking.

    ReplyDelete